Employment exchange is a body that is an official organization that connects the employers to the employees. It is as simple as that, but the process in India has been so arranged that everywhere in India, people could able to access an exchange and put in his or her name for being considered by a prospective employer. Mostly in India Employment Exchange functions as an authority which acts as a catalyst for a job seeker to find a job in the government sector.
Presently, to a significant extent, this particular mode of accessing the names of qualified employees is possible for government jobs, but some states of India also allow for scouting the lists of employees for private run companies and public sector undertakings. Another form of employment exchange, which is seen in our world as well as in our country, is that of a recruitment agency. But then they are private organizations and cater mostly to those private employers who are seeking employees. Basic difference in this particular format of recruitment is that it can happen as and when vacancies arise and there is no fixed formula of recruitment followed.
Organized sector of Government sector employment:
Government recruitment in India is more organized and people are required to go through specific recruitment agencies that are present in their states, and register their names. Such a process has further become easier, with the ability to register the names electronically, without being personally present, except when such an appearance is sought by the agencies or exchanges. Since agencies, such employment exchanges have become a boon for the common man to search for jobs, but, the modern age, the world of technology has brought in new means and further success in the very purpose of such exchanges.
History of Employment Exchange in India:
The employment exchange as a service came into a single mobilization unit, not until the stress faced time during the world war in year 1946. Until this time, the employment services were limited to recruiting people for war but after the war, people were left jobless and became unemployed. Those war workers, who were discharged after the war, now assembled to start something productive and decided to do it on their own, taking the help of the new government.
Under the guidelines of the DG (Employment and Training), and on the recommendations of the special jury committee named Sri Shiva Rao Committee (as set up by DGE&T), there were a lot of changes took place in the fields of Employment Market Information, Vocational Guidance and Occupational Research. The regular operation and daily activities of the organization was taken over by the state governments, with effect from 1st of November 1956. And from then onwards, streamlining of the employment exchanges were came into force in India.
The first step was taken in the direction of vocational guidance where groups of people were taught various tools that they were good at and this guidance were properly noted down in records. Such vocational guidance was then kept up to date in the vocational guidance unit under the state branches of the directorate.
Preliminary Form of Registration
- Candidates had to undergo a process of pre-registration and an interview of a group discussion in order to get their NCO. These NCO (National Classification of Occupation) was their standard code which was allotted after review of academics, trainings and exposure to technical as well as non-technical sectors.
- The person has to be present in person and they have to submit their proof of age and ration card for processing the registration. The person has to be personally present at the counters of the Employment Exchanges in order to get his name registered and receive his Employment Exchange registration numbers.
- There were separate employment officers and supervisors, specifically for these posts.
- After all this, an identity card popularly known as X-10B, were issued to the registered candidates for further reference and utilization during employment.
- Now, these registered candidates were properly kept in record in separate registers and helped in knowing about the number of people who were presently ready for employment.
- Renewal of the registration was required if a candidate failed to get any suitable job or doesn’t get interested for a particular vacancy and this is supposed to be done every 10 years by bringing along the old registered number and the ration card.
The Compulsory Notification of Vacancies Act – 1959 was passed by the Indian Parliament in 1959, according to which, all those employers who were having more than 25 vacancies had to notify to the respective exchanges about the positions of their vacancies, in writing. Even the government offices and all public sector enterprises were required to do so in a prescribed format and submit that to the agency.
After all these vacancies are accepted, the employment officer is now in charge of matching the candidates for the respective proficiency of the jobs and informing about the job that seems suitable. In this way, the employers and employees and brought together by proper letter and intimations, so that they can conduct their interviews or written rounds and the jobs are finally arranged.
Advantages of Registering with an Employment Exchange:
In each state, various employment exchanges have been marked with in each district, so that there is a particular clarity in the noting of the number of unemployed in a particular state or region. The first benefit of having registrations done and the registration numbers received is that the person is a valid holder of a recognized certificate by the issue.
Any kind of vacancy that is found in the government or organized sector is immediately intimated to the candidate. But people will have to find out first, about their registration status in their respective exchanges as they are not allowed to apply in other employment exchange apart from which they have already registered.
- It is through the educational qualifications that people will have to start their registration and this is to be filled up in the form.
- The names of unemployment registered persons are forwarded to the employers by employment exchanges generally in order of seniority of registration.
- Also, the higher qualification seniority is to be noted while sending the qualification sheet for the job.
Therefore it is important that the candidates have registration in their respective locality, provided they wish to go through the employment exchanges and regularly seek out any vacancies. They should also have their registrations renewed.
Online Registrations through Employment Exchange:
It has been a long time since the issue of keeping long lines had been prevalent. Nowadays, with the employment exchanges having their online portals through respective government agencies, have gone internet way. The entire process of registration has been made simple and easier for the candidates and today people can receive their registration numbers without visiting their employment exchanges.
Now, people from any state can go to their official state site through the respective URLs. If the candidate’s name is registered with the employment exchange, he can access the portal to find out more about the available opportunities along with other essential information directly through this online interface.
A unique registration number from the respective employment exchange will be received by the client, which the candidate will have to mention on the application form while applying for those declared vacancies. In case of any vacancy is notified to the respective employment exchange, the registered candidates name will be sent to the employees for further processing.
Process of Registration through Any Employment Exchange
- First the candidate has to log into the employment exchange and register online.
- The state, district and name of employment exchange have to be selected from the drop down box.
- There is a code in the box below, which is filled in the space provided to proceed.
- The submit button is clicked to proceed further.
- This leads to the receipt of a user login, password, allotted registration number, date and name of the employment exchange.
- This page has to be printed out for keeping future reference.
- The registration number provided is temporary and therefore it should be kept down for future references.
- Now the candidate has to visit the employment exchange mentioned in the printed page along with the documents in support of education, age, caste, sportsman cards, handicap, widow, ex-servicemen, and other relevant documents.
- This has to be done within 15 days of receiving the temporary registration number.
- Apart from the above document one of these documents might be required to be submitted as proof of being the local residents.
Voter Identity Card
Yellow or Green Card as issued from competent authorities
Certificate issued by the Sarpanch of a village of councilor of Municipality
A document in support of proof of job for any of your parents
Academic certificate issued by the state
A proof in form of a letter recognizing you from an officer not below the rank of gazetted post or from your School Headmaster
Certificate issued by a Member of State Legislative Assembly or Member of Parliament
Competent Domicile Certificate issued by the competent authorities from the state
- Finally, Employment Exchange will issue a registration card carrying Registration No with date of renewal of that registration.
With all these simple online process, a person is able to get their registration card and the rest is done by the employment exchange under which the registration is done. It is now the responsible of the agency to see that the person gets a call for job, through the member employers, which are also registered with them in the region.
How People can Avail the Online Registration, if They Have Already Registered Previously:
In case, people have had their registration before the computerized system was introduced, they should get a validation done of their certificate or get it renewed by the same process in the state’s e–governance cell. Since there is no difference nowadays through the online means of either making it a state Government Issue or a national issue, getting registered in any place is possible because ultimately, one is giving the name and addresses of the local employment exchange.
Another benefit of such an online way of registering is that any case of mistakes or information left out can be corrected by visiting the online site of the particular state. A few data will be asked for validation and the alterations can be made within a few days. But sometimes, original data are required to be produced to prove the authenticity of the claim. In some cases, renewal of registration is done after 3 years, with 2 grace months allowed in between.
The End Note:
The whole exercise of dealing the employment of people in such a systematic integration of information is another step in proving the sovereignty of this vast nation. With equal opportunities irrespective of caste and creed, Employment exchanges are serving tirelessly for effective recruitment solutions. This recruitment facilitating agency is delivering its best efforts to make up the gap between the employer and the employee by offering a convenient, well structured and well organized recruitment structure of India.