(Including Short Service Commission (Non-Technical Course) For Women)
Rising from the inception since the British ruling, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is an autonomous entity formed on 26th of January 1950 as a reformation of Federal Public Service Commission. In order to offer an unbiased recruitment for Civil Service protecting the service interests the UPSC is working with its sole discretionary powers to fill up various competitive positions under the Republic of India.
Combined Defense Service (CDS) is one of the major defense service entrance examinations to various Service Wings after National Defense Academy (NDA) examination which allows graduates to take up defense services as per their competency and preference. This examination is held twice in a year for absorption into Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy (OTA). Only unmarried graduates are eligible to appear this examination and the selected candidates are subjected to an interview conducted by Service Selection Board (SSB). Married persons can only join Short Service Commission at OTA.
Application for the first batch of CDS examination for the year 2014 has been invited with the employment notification number NO.02/2014-CDS-I on 02-Nov-2013 from UPSC.
- Number of expected vacancies:
- Indian Military Academy – 250 Vacancies (32 reserved for NCC ‘C’ Certificate holders from Army Wing)
- Indian Naval Academy – Ezhimala – 40 Vacancies (06 reserved for NCC ‘C’ Certificate holders from Navy Wing)
- Air Force Academy – Hyderabad – 32 Vacancies (Pre-flying Training)
- Officers Training Academy – Chennai – 175 Vacancies (Short Service Commission- Men)
- Officers Training Academy – Chennai – 12 Vacancies (Short Service Commission- Non Technical Women)
Note: The numbers of indicated vacancies are subject to change at any stage by Service Head Quarter
- Important date for Submission of Online Application:
- The candidates are required to submit their online application on or before 2-Dec-2013, 11:59 PM.
- After the expiry of Online Link no further applications can be accepted by the UPSC.
- Eligibility Criteria:
- Citizenship: The candidate applying for the CDS-I, should ideally be a citizen of India, or a subject of other countries accepted with authorization for Indian citizenship.
- Age Limits and Marital Status:
(i) For IMA– Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2-Jan-1991 and not later than 1-Jan-1996
(ii) For Indian Naval Academy– Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2-Jan-1991 and not later than 1-Jan-1996
(iii) For Air Force Academy– Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2-Jan-1992 and not later than 1-Jan-1996
(iv) For Officers’ Training Academy– (SSC Course for Men): Male candidates (Married or unmarried) born not earlier than 2-Jan-1990 and not later than 1-Jan-1996
(v) For Officers Training Academy – (SSC Women Non-Technical Course) – Unmarried Women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2-Jan-1990 and not later than 1-Jan-1996.
Note: The date of birth entered as per the date of Birth mentioned in the Matriculation Certificate is only acceptable by the Commission.
The date of Birth once mentioned and accepted by the Commission will not be changed under any circumstances during selection and subsequent service period.
- Educational Qualifications:
(i) For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy– A Bachelors Degree from any recognized University or equivalent
(ii) For Indian Naval Academy – A Bachelors Degree of Engineering from any recognized University or equivalent
(iii) For Air Force Academy: A Bachelors Degree from any recognized University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering
- Graduates with first choice as Army/ Navy/ Air Force are to submit proof of their provisional graduation certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the Board
- Candidates who are studying in the final year Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply but they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination to reach the Army/ Navy/ Air Force HQs on or before the 13-Nov-2014 (For IMA, Indian Naval Academy & Air Force Academy) or on or before 1-Feb-2015 (for Officer’s Training Academy)
- In case of candidates who fail to qualify for Flying Training will be absorbed in the navigational and administration wings subject to availability of vacancies and the candidates fulfills requisite qualification requirements.
- Physical Fitness:
All candidates eligible for CDS examination will have to undergo a compulsory physical fitness test as per the guidelines of the Service Commission.
- Application Fees:
All candidates (excepting Female/ SC/ ST candidates who are exempted from payment of application fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees Two Hundred Only) either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of SBI and its subsidiary banks or by using Visa/ Master Credit/ Debit Cards. Payment through any other form is not accepted.
- How to Apply:
- The candidates are required to log on to the website of UPSC at www.upsconline.nic.in and requested to read the detailed information available at http://www.upsc.gov.in/exams/notifications/2014/cds1/cds-1-2014-notice-english-version.pdf on the website prior to filling up the application form.
- The candidates need to upload their signature and photographs duly scanned on the online application.
- The candidates need to keep a copy of the online submitted application form for future reference.
- There will be Negative Marking System adopted for each of the wrong answers on the OMR sheet.
- The candidates should use only black ball point pen for marking and writing on the answer sheet. No Pencil or ink pen use will be allowed in the examination.
- For guidance of the candidates:
In case any candidate requires guidance/ further information/ clarification regarding their applications, candidature etc. they can contact UPSC’s Facilitation Counter in person or over Telephone No. 011-23385271/ 011-23381125/ 011-23098543 on any working days between 10.00 hrs. to 17.00 hrs.
Post Author: Priyanka Singh