Odisha Board of Secondary Education – Becoming A Significant Force In Spreading Education
The Board of Secondary Education, Odisha was established with an objective of providing a variety of courses in order to equip the students in various domains to maintain the cultural stability in the state. The board also had an objective of controlling, regulating and developing Secondary Education in Odisha.
The BSE Orissa was founded in the year 1955, under the Odisha Secondary Education Act of 1953. The head quarter was laid in Cuttack. The board controls all the necessary secondary education in the state of Odisha.
The BSE Odisha affiliates all the states as well as private schools along with the colleges in the state of Odisha. The BSE also manages a model high school under it, in Cuttack which is named Secondary Board High School.
Key Features of the Board
- High school certificate exams are conducted twice in a year.
- Teacher’s certificate exam of Secondary Schools and D.I.E.T.S in the state is conducted by the board.
- The board conducts certificate course in Physical Education and examines the same.
- Prathama Certificate exams are conducted yearly.
- Madhyama Certificate Exams are conducted yearly.
- The board conducts Middle School Scholarship Examinations and National Rural Talent Scholarship Examination every year.
- Language tests are conducted twice a year.
- Final examinations are conducted every spring for Higher Secondary Education.
- High School Certificate examinations are also conducted by the board for Class 12.
Structure of the Board
The board was formed under the Odisha Secondary Education Act, 1953 and amended in the year 1979. As per the Act, the Board comprises of several members inclusive of-
- 38 Ex-office members including President and Vice President.
- 35 nominated members who are deployed by the State Government.
- 3 elected members from the state Legislative Assembly.
- 8 Elected members representing various universities.
- 5 co-opted members who are annually co-opted by the board.
Statutory Committees of the Board
- Executive Committee.
- Education Committee.
- Finance Committee.
- Syllabus Committee.
- Examination Committee.
- Recognition and Grants Committee.
Other committees include:
- Selection committee for appointing academic officers and board staff.
- Selection committee for appointing board officers.
- Correspondence course committee.
- Regulation committee.
- Academic Program Advisory committee.
The Zones of the Board
The board is divided into several zones based on the districts of the states in order to deliver education to more people by decentralizing the work. The board zones of Odisha include
- Central Zone.
- Bhubaneshwar Zone.
- Balasore Zone.
- Baripada Zone.
- Berhampur Zone.
- Sambalpur Zone.
Functions of the board
- It works on conducting High school Certificate Exams and other courses offered by the board.
- It prepares syllabus and curriculum.
- It prepares text books, teaching materials, lesson notes, workbooks etc.
- It issues certificates of the exams conducted by the board.
- It recognizes secondary schools for affiliation.
- It makes rule and regulations for performing various functions of the board.
- It organizes refresher courses to improvise secondary education.