Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram is the major office of the ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) dedicated towards the Space Research and development of Space Vehicles and Rocket Propulsion Technology. This is one of the premier indigenous establishments of Rocket Science in India, which has credit for many successful space launches.
Space Physics Laboratory (SPL), a pioneer institution dedicated for research in different disciplines of Atmospheric, Space, and Planetary Sciences. The SPL offers excellent research opportunities in various fields including Physics, Chemistry and Surface Dynamics, Lower, Middle, and Upper Atmosphere-Ionosphere and their coupling processes, Aerosols, Clouds, Space Weather phenomena, and Lunar and Planetary Explorations.
Space Physics Laboratory (SPL) also carries out frontline research in Electrodynamics, Sun-Earth relationships, Space Weather phenomena and Lunar, Cometary, and Planetary Sciences. SPL is involved in major Space and Atmospheric science programs of the country, such as Chandrayaan-1, Mars Orbiter Mission, YouthSat, Megha-Tropiques, Aditya-L1 Mission, ISRO-Geosphere Biosphere Program, etc.
Recently the VSSC has announced notification to fill up the vacancies for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in Space Physics Laboratory (SPL) with its advertisement No. 283 on 04-June-2014. In the words of VSSC, “If you have an excellent academic track record and dream to be the part of the frontline research being done in the country, then this is a call for you!”
The essential criteria for eligibility cited for the vacant positions of JRF are as follows:
- Date for starting of Online Registration of Application: 04-Jun-2014 from 1000 Hours
- Date of closing of Online Registration of Application: 18-Jun-2014 till 1700 Hours
- Last date of receipt of confirmatory copy/hardcopy of Online Application by VSSC: 25-Jun-2014
- Date for availability of hall tickets for written test: On or after 04-Jul-2014
- Date for availability of Call Letters for Interview [for UGC-NET/ CSIR holders (research fellowship and not lectureship) or valid GATE score holders only]: On or after 12-Jul-2014
- Date of Written Test: 12-Jul-2014
- Date of Interview: 13-Jul-2014 & 14-Jul-2014
Details of Vacancy Profile: Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
Basic Academic Eligibility Conditions to Apply for Junior Research Fellowship:
- The candidates should have obtained a 1st Class M.Sc. Degree in Physics/ Applied Physics/ Atmospheric Science/ Meteorology/ Space Science/ Space Physics/ Planetary Sciences/ Astronomy & Astrophysics with minimum 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent CGPA/CPI (grading on a 10 point scale).
- The candidate must have minimum of First Class with 60% of marks on an average in all semesters or equivalent CGPA/ CPI of 6.5 over a scale of 10.
- Those who are slated to complete the M.Sc. course in the academic year 2013-2014 are also eligible to apply, provided final year mark list and certificate (satisfying the eligibility criteria) can be produced at the time of joining.
- Applicants who have cleared Joint CSIR-UGC Test (NET) for Junior Research Fellowship (not Lectureship) or have a valid GATE score will be directly called for Interview.
- Aspiring candidates for Junior Research Fellowship should attain a maximum age not exceeding 28 years as on 18-June-2014 (for General candidates).
- The upper age relaxation for OBC, SC/ST and PWD candidates will be entitled to respective candidates as per the regulations of the Government of India.
Duration of Fellowship:
- The candidates selected as Junior Research Fellow, will join the Space Physics Laboratory (SPL) on an initial contract period of 1 year.
- This period may be extended up to a maximum of 5 years.
- The selected JRFs will have to work on specific research themes.
- They will be permitted to register for Ph.D Degree at selected universities.
- Selected candidates should be willing to work anywhere in India (including remote places) and partake in field experiments including aircrafts and ship-based campaigns, as per the requirements.
Pay Scale and Allowances:
- The candidates selected as Junior Research Fellow, will receive a consolidated remuneration of Rs.16000 per month for the initial 2 years.
- This may be enhanced to Rs.18000 per month after completion of 2 years as JRF.
- JRFs are also eligible for HRA as admissible to regular employees of VSSC.
Mode of Selection:
- Based on the online application, initial screening will be conducted to short-list the candidates for Written Test/ Interview.
- For candidates not having CSIR-UGC Test (NET) for Junior Research Fellowship/ a valid GATE Score: Through Written Test followed by an Interview
- For candidates having CSIR-UGC Test (NET) for Junior Research Fellowship/ a valid GATE Score: Only Through an Interview
- The result of the written test will be announced on the same day itself in the VSSC website and Interview will be conducted on the very next day.
How to Apply:
- The applications for the above positions will be received by the VSSC through Online mode only.
- The format of Online Application can be reviewed on the website of the VSSC at www.vssc.gov.in and can be filled up online through detailed information and guidelines as available on the website.
- The candidates are advised to go through the detailed advertisement as available at http://www.vssc.gov.in:8080/RMT283/advt283.html , before submission of Online Application.
- The candidates are requested to submit One Confirmation Copy of the Online Application to the following address duly affixed with a recent color Passport size photograph along with the NOC (No Objection Certificate) as and where applicable.
- The applicant should not send any other documents such as copies of certificates/ mark-lists in proof of educational qualification, work experience, age etc.
- The applicants will be provided with an Online Registration Number, which should be carefully preserved for future reference.
- The Confirmation Copy may be sent to:
The Senior Administrative Officer
Recruitment And Review Section
Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
ATF Area, Indian Space Research Organization Post Office
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
PIN: 695 022