Application for the second batch of CDS examination for the year 2015 has been invited with the employment notification number NO.12/2015-CDS-II, for admission to below mentioned courses;
- Indian Military Academy, Dehradun 141 Course Commencing in July, 2016.
- Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala-Course Commencing in July, 2016.
- Air Force Academy, Hyderabad (Pre-Flying) Training 200/16F/PC Course commencing in July, 2016.
- Officers Training Academy, Chennai, 104th SSC Course commencing in October, 2016.
- Officers Training Academy, Chennai 18th SSC Women commencing in October, 2016.
Combined Defense Service (CDS) is one of the major defense service entrance examinations to various Service Wings. This examination is held twice in a year for absorption into Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy (OTA). Only unmarried graduates are eligible to appear this examination and the selected candidates are subjected to an interview conducted by Service Selection Board (SSB). Married persons can only join Short Service Commission at OTA.
Most Important Dates:
Last Date for Submission of Online Application: 14-August-2015
Date of Examination: 01-November-2015
Declaration of Result: December, 2015 (Expected)
Number of Expected Vacancies:
a) Indian Military Academy – 200 (25 reserved for NCC ‘C’ Certificate holders from Army Wing)
b) Indian Naval Academy – Ezhimala – 45 (06 reserved for NCC ‘C’ Certificate holders from Navy Wing)
c) Air Force Academy – Hyderabad – 32
d) Officers Training Academy – Chennai – 175 (Short Service Commission- Male)
e) Officers Training Academy – Chennai – 11 (Short Service Commission- Non Technical Female)
Mode of Application: Candidates are required to apply through online application only.
The candidate applying for the CDS examination-II, should ideally be a) A citizen of India, b) a subject of Nepal or a subject of Bhutan, c) a Tibetan refugee migrated to India with an intention of permanent settlement prior to 1st Jan 1962, d) a person from Indian origin migrated from Pakistan, Myanmar, Bangladesh, and east-African countries with an intention of permanent settlement.
All candidates in respect of category b), c) and d) should obtain necessary eligibility certificate issued by a competent authority from the Government of India.
- Educational Qualifications:
(i) For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy– A Bachelors Degree from any recognized University or equivalent.
(ii) For Indian Naval Academy – A Bachelors Degree of Engineering from any recognized University or equivalent.
(iii) For Air Force Academy: A Bachelors Degree from any recognized University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering
- Graduates with first choice as Army/ Navy/ Air Force are to submit proof of their provisional graduation certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the Board.
- Candidates who are studying in the final year Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply but they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination to reach the Army/ Navy/ Air Force HQs on or before the 13-May-2016 (For IMA, Indian Naval Academy & Air Force Academy) or on or before 01-August-2016 (for Officer’s Training Academy).
- In case of candidates who fail to qualify for Flying Training will be absorbed in the navigational and administration wings subject to availability of vacancies and the candidates fulfills requisite qualification requirements.
- Age Limit:
Candidates Applying for Indian Military Academy must be born between 2nd July, 1992 and 1st July, 1997
Candidates Applying for Indian Naval Academy must born between 2nd July, 1992 and 1st July, 1997
Candidates Applying for Air Force Academy must born between 2nd July, 1992 and 1st July, 1996
Candidates Applying for Officers Training Academy (SSC Male) must born between 2nd July, 1991 and 1st July, 1997
Candidates Applying for Officers Training Academy (SSC Women) must born between 2nd July, 1991 and 1st July, 1997
Physical Fitness: All candidates eligible for CDS examination will have to undergo a compulsory physical fitness test as per the guidelines of the Service Commission.
Application Fee & How to: All candidates (excepting Female/ SC/ ST candidates who are exempted from payment of application fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees Two Hundred Only) either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of SBI and its subsidiary banks or by using Visa/ Master Credit/ Debit Cards.
Selection Process: Candidates will have to undergo a written test after which successful candidates will be called for interview. Final result of selected candidates and their admission procedure will be displayed on the website by the authorities.
How to Apply: The candidates are required to log on to the website of UPSC at www.upsconline.nic.in under the link ‘ONLINE APPLICATION FOR VARIOUS EXAMINATIONS OF UPSC’ and requested to read the detailed information available on the website prior to filling up the application form.
- The candidates need to upload their signature and photographs duly scanned on the online application.
- The candidates need to keep a copy of the online submitted application form for future reference.
The eligible candidates will be issued an e-Admission Certificate three weeks before the commencement of examination. No other Admission Certificate will be sent by the UPSC to the candidates. Candidates are requested to download the application form from the website of the UPSC at the above mentioned link.
Admit Card/ e-Admission Certificate:
The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admit Card three weeks before the commencement of the examination. Candidates can be download CDS Exam Admit Card 2015 through UPSC official website http://upscadmitcard.nic.in.
* No admission Certificate will be sent by post.
Download Your Admit Card Here: CDS Exam Admit Card 2015
Question Evaluation in the written examination:
The candidates should be aware that there will be NEGATIVE MARKING SYSTEM adopted for each of the wrong answers on the OMR sheet. Also, for marking and writing on the answer sheet the candidates are to use only black ball point pen. No Pencil or ink pen use will be allowed in the examination.
Counter for guidance of the candidates:
In case any candidate requires guidance/ further information/ clarification regarding their applications, candidature etc. they can contact UPSC’s Facilitation Counter near Gate ‘C’ of its campus in person or over Telephone No. 011-23385271/ 011-23381125/ 011-23098543 on any working days between 10.00 hrs. to 17.00 hrs.
Syllabus of CDS Examination:
- The standard of the papers in Elementary Mathematics will be of Matriculation level
- The standard of papers in other subjects will approximately be such as may be expected of a graduate of an Indian University
Syllabus will be of the following pattern:
- Elementary English
- General Knowledge
- Elementary Mathematics
Arithmetic, number system-natural numbers, integers, rational and real numbers, fundamental operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square roots, decimal, fractions, unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple interest, compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation, elementary number theory, division algorithm, prime and composite numbers, algebra, trigonometry, geometry, mensuration, and Statistics.
- Intelligence And Personality Test
In addition to the interview the candidates will be put to Intelligence Tests both verbal and non-verbal, designed to assess their basic intelligence. They will also be put to Group Tests such as group discussions, group planning, outdoor group tasks, and asked to give brief lectures on specified subjects. All these tests are intended to judge the mental caliber of a candidate. In broad terms, this is really an assessment of not only his/her intellectual qualities but also his/her social traits and interests in current affairs.
Only eligible candidates should apply for the given posts as described by the guidelines given in official advertisement here http://www.upsc.gov.in/exams/notifications/2015/CDS_II_2015/Eng.pdf.