Applying for a job means sending in a resume through online or postal means. Sometimes people are required to submit their resume during the interview itself or at some point of time. Resumes or curriculum vitae are important documents that are necessary when applying for a post. This is a set of papers that has the candidates profile with education qualifications, experiences or other credits, which would make him or her eligible for jobs selection. It is easy to imagine that this piece of paper is quite important as far as the job selection process is being undertaken. It goes without saying, therefore, that the resume holds a lot of importance for a person to get called for the interview.
When a recruiting agency or an organisation posts a job vacancy, a number of candidates send in their resumes to be considered for the interview for the said post. It is up to the recruiting agency or the HR or concerned department in the organisation to conduct the screening of the candidates and call those who are most suitable for the job. This suggests that the initial screening of the candidates is done on the basis of the resume. So the resume has to be prepared in such a manner that it will impress the person conducting this step and the candidate is called for the first step towards getting the job.
When preparing for this document, resume tips have to be kept in mind. People are surely not conversant with the manner in which this particular document is written and therefore there will be incumbent mistakes. They should follow some dos and don’ts for the making of the resume.
- The CV or resume should be kept short. Recruiters will make an opinion of the candidate in the top third of the first page. So there is no need to write long pages as reaching the last line of the resume is very rare. Two pages at the maximum should contain all the information that a candidate is trying to suggest.
- It is best to use key terms or keyword. Since resume submission in most of the places has become online, these keywords should appear in the resume to be selected. Electrical engineering or pharmaceutical, etc should be mentioned in the respective job applications. This also helps in keeping the information precise and short.
- Writing vague terms in the resume is to be avoided. Terms like ability to work in team or strong personality, etc should not be written because these can sometimes put off the recruiters who are going through the resume.
- Key messages should always be tried to be mentioned. Lying in the resume is completely disapproved. Instead people should try and mention their best potential.
- Hobbies and interests shouldn’t be mentioned unless these are helpful in the marketing for the job being applied.
- Reference names shouldn’t be supplied on the resume unless asked for. It is sometimes detrimental to the candidates themselves if these people are called in and they don’t know what to say.
These are some of the tips that can help in making the resume attractive and lower the chances of rejection. Resume tips should be remembered and accordingly the documents should be kept prepared. Depending on the jobs applied, the necessary features should be added or removed and should be sent in to create that very first impression which will help land the job in the kitty.