The dictionary definition for library science goes like this: “The study of the organization and administration of a library and of its informational, technical, and reference services.”
Now-a-days, the term library and information science (LIS) is often used in schools, colleges and universities. This new term denotes scientific and technical foundations of the library science subjects and its relation with information science.
As per wikipedia, information science is an interdisciplinary field primarily concerned with the collection, analysis, classification, manipulation, storage, retrieval, movement, dissemination, and protection of data/ information.
Information science is an academic discipline and is often taught in combination with Library science as Library and Information Science (LIS).
By studying library science, you master the science and art of arranging books, journals, and magazines, CDs, Audio and Video Cassettes in a systematic and aesthetic way. It deals with the cataloging of knowledge and information in an informed way.
Library Science Job might be ideal for you, if you value of information and knowledge.
If you pursue library science, you can join as a Librarian, Library Technician, Library Assistants, Library Science Educators, Archivists, Curators, and Museum Workers; in schools, colleges, universities libraries, museums, historical sites, government departments, and libraries for specialist areas as Law and health care sector.
You might be, sometimes, designated as an information manager in some organizations.
You’ll involve in promotional activities to develop reading habits among people and students in order to encourage and maximize the use of library.
A good library contains the following items and more:
- Periodicals, Books, Audio cassettes, Films and videos, Educational records, Reference books
- You’ll have to manage all the possible resources of your library.
- Set up or work with databases and information systems to catalogue and access information.
- Compile records, sort, shelve, issue, and receive library materials.
- Helping readers in the use of library catalogs, databases, and indexes to locate books and other materials
- Perform in-depth, strategic research, and synthesize, analyze, edit, and filter information
- Teach courses in library science
- Collections of artwork and historic items
- Archivists appraise, process, catalog, and preserve permanent records and historically valuable documents
Courses available in this Library Science
- Diploma in Library and Information Science (DLIS)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS)
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS)
- MPhil – Library & information Science
- PG Diploma in Library Automation and Networking
- D. in Library & information Science
Besides the above courses, there are some certification courses in library science:
- Information & Communication Technology (ICT) Applications in Library
- Library and Information Science
One must have organisational skills, research skills, computer skills, using databases, customer service skills, good spoken and written communication skills, and the ability to supervise others; to excel a Career in Libraries.
Initially, you’ll join as a library assistant and will get promoted gradually. You can get jobs in schools, colleges, universities libraries, museums, and libraries for specialist areas as Law and health care sector.
You can also start careers in galleries, archives, museums, historical sites, government departments, and documentation centers. You can work for publishing houses and statistical research centers. If you become an experienced librarian, you can start a private lending library to fulfill the needs of local library readers. You can also work as a service consultant after your retirement from government libraries.
These are the various designations available in this field: Librarian, Library Attendant, Library Assistant, Library Technician, Deputy Librarian, Information Assistant, Information Analyst, Director of Information Centre, Junior Librarian and Professional Assistant.
Is this Sarkari Job is not relevant to your Qualification/ Experience/ Sector/ Company/ Location you want to work with; You can find All Education/ Experience/ Sector/ Company/ Location Latest Government Jobs Advertisement from Public Sector Units. Employment News - Explore your career opportunity. strong>