Kerala Teacher Eligibility Test (K-TET) has been designed by the National Council for Teacher Education and Department of School Education, Kerala to ensure that persons recruited as teachers possess the essential aptitude and ability to meet the challenges of teaching at Elementary, Secondary and Senior Secondary levels. As an essential criterion, the K-TET has to be attended by each person who envisages a dream career in teaching in Lower Primary, Upper Primary and High School Classes in any School in Kerala. The Government of Kerala has decided to extent the TET up to class X teachers. The K-TET does not confer a job, but it is an essential criterion to adopt a teaching job as per the recommendations of NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education). The K-TET will be conducted by the Board of School Education, Kerala under the Department of School Education, Government of Kerala.
The K-TET notification has been declared by the Board of School Education for the year 2013 and candidates who are interested for a future career with teaching jobs can apply Online through the website of Kerala Pareeksha Bhavan (www.keralapareekshabhavan.in ) and SCERT (www.scert.kerala.gov.in ).
The details of the eligibility criteria and the recruitment norms are as under:
Name of the examination:
- Kerala Teacher Eligibility Test
- Starting date for Online Registration: 08-Aug-2013
- Last date for Online Registration: 24-Aug-2013
- Last date for depositing examination fee: 13-May-2013
- Downloading of Admit Cards through the website: from 09-Sept till 27-Sept-2013
- Dates for Examination: 28-Sept-2013 and 05-Oct-2013
Minimum Educational Qualification:
- Category – I – For becoming Lower Primary Teacher (for Classes I-V): Higher Secondary/ Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 45% marks and two year Trained Teachers’ Certificate (TTC) OR, 2 years Diploma in Elementary Education from NCTE. OR, Higher Secondary/Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks and 4 year Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.) OR, Higher Secondary/Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks and 2 year Diploma in Education (Special Education).
- Category – II – For becoming Teacher in Upper Primary level (for Classes VI-VIII): BA/ BSc/ BCom with minimum 50% (45% for SC/ST) marks with 2 year Diploma in Elementary Education/ TTC from NCTE OR, B.A/B.Sc/B.Com with at least 45% marks and 1 year Bachelor in Education (B.Ed.), in accordance with NCTE OR, Higher Secondary/Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks and 4 year Bachelor Degree in Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.) OR, Higher Secondary/ Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks and 4 year B.A/B.Sc.Ed or B.A. Ed or B.Sc.Ed
- Category – III – For becoming Teachers (for High School Classes):
Those who possess minimum educational qualifications as delineated here under are eligible to appear for K-TET III. The test is for HSAs in: (i) Malayalam (ii) English (iii) Hindi (iv) Sanskrit (v) Tamil (vi) Kannada (vii) Arabic (viii) Urdu (ix) Social Science (x) Physical Science (xi) Natural Science and (xii) Mathematics
BA/BSc/B.Com with at least 45% marks and a B.Ed. Degree in the subject concerned OR, For Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology, those who have MSc.Ed. Degree in the subject concerned with not less than 50% marks from one of the Regional Institutes of Education sponsored by NCERT will be eligible to apply. For Botany and Zoology subjects, those with MSc.Ed. Degree in Life Science with not less than 50% marks from any of the Regional Institutes of Education are eligible to apply.
- Category – IV – For becoming Language Teachers:
This test is applicable for Language teachers in Arabic, Hindi, Sanskrit, Urdu (up to Upper Primary level), Specialist teachers and Physical Education teachers (up to High School level). This is also for teachers of Art Education and Craft Education, the existing, eligibility norms prescribed by the State Government shall be applicable till the time when NCTE lays down the minimum qualification.
Those who have acquired qualifications for the posts of Language Teachers as mentioned in Chapter XXXI of KERALA EDUCATION ACT AND RULES are eligible to apply
- For others please log on to the official portal of K-TET at http://www.keralapareekshabhavan.in/images/stories/download/ktet_13.pdf
There is no age limit specified for K-TET.
Mode of Selection:
- The selection will be done through a Written Test. A person who scores 60% or more marks in the K-TET examination shall be considered ‘K-TET passed’ or ‘K-TET qualified’. A person who has qualified K-TET may also appear again for improving his/her score.
- This selection will be done strictly on a Merit Listing
- For each level for all candidates (except SC/ST and Differently able): Rs.500
- For SC & Differently Able candidates: Rs.250
- The fee can be remitted by the candidates through a System Generated Challan at selected branches of State Bank of Travancore as mentioned on the detailed advertisement in cash in the Account No. 67186142559 Kerala TET, in favour of the Director, SCERT, Poojappura, Thiruvananthapuram at the select branches of State Bank of Travancore only
How to Apply:
a) The candidates may apply through online mode only in English at the website of the Kerala Pareeksha Bhawan at http://www.keralapareekshabhavan.in
b) The applicants are advised read through the instructions and guidelines before submission of online Application form
c) The candidates are advised to fill in the application with caution as there will be no chance of altering the data once the application form is submitted
d) After the completion of first phase of the registration, the candidates need to take-out the system generated fee payment challan and deposit requisite fees in any branch of the preferred banks as stated on the complete advertisement
e) After the payment of fees, the next and final step of the registration can be carried out.
f) The candidates have to upload their recent photograph and signature at appropriate spaces on the Online Application
g) The candidates should save at least 3 hardcopies of the application for future reference.