Company Secretaryship (CS) exam is one of the entrance exams conducted by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), Government of India. Company Secretaryship is one among the professional accountancy courses like CA, ICWA, etc. This CS course is considered as a highly rewarding study. A professional with this qualification can work as a Company Secretary for a company having working capital of 50 lakh in Indian currency. As per the Indian Companies Act, it is mandatory to form a company having working capital of more than 50 lakh Indian rupees and for such an amount, there is always a need for talented and dynamic Company Secretaries to work over the capitals.
To become a Company Secretary, a candidate should be passed in the exams of foundation program, executive program and professional program, which are conducted by ICSI. At the final stage of the course they will provide a practical oriented program to work with reputed companies as probationary Company Secretary. The distance learning method is implemented by the Institute to help students to continue their course without going for classroom learning sessions.
An overview of CS exam pattern
Subjects included in foundation program are English, Business Communication, Financial Accounting, Economics And Statistics and Elements Of Business Laws and Management.
In executive program the course module has been divided into two segments:
- Module 1: General and Commercial Laws, Cost and Management Accounting, Company Accounts and Tax Laws
- Module 2: Securities Laws, Company Laws and Labour Laws
Professional program is divided into four modules:
- Module 1: Company Secretarial Practice, Appearances & Pleadings and Drafting
- Module 2: Financial, Treasury, Forex Management, Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Module 3: International Trade, Strategic Management, Alliances, Advanced Tax Laws and Practice
- Module 4: Business Ethics and Sustainability, Due Diligence, Corporate Compliance Management and Governance
How to prepare yourself for CS exam?
The above said syllabus has to be studied well to clear the exams. Reading model question papers, thorough study of modules given in the syllabus will help you to answer the objective type questions.
Generally difficult subjects like law, international trade, etc needs to be given more revisions to score good marks. CS syllabus covers vast subjects, so you study and understand the basic concepts of the subjects to make it easier. Revise the question papers of the past six years to get an overview of the question patterns. Comprehensive writing skill is essential to face essay type questions.
What you need to focus on?
- Concentrate more on recent modifications of laws and current affairs.
- Do not follow the modules mechanically. It will not help you in the exams while facing twisted questions.
- To get latest guidelines and updates about CS exam can be downloaded from the official website of Institute of Company Secretaries of India. It will give up to date information about examination.
- Improve your drafting skills along with writing skills to present ideas in an easy way.
- Do not give too much importance to materialized study.
- Prepare for exams in your own way of studying, don’t try to experiment with new learning methods.
- If you need coaching for any harder subject, you can go to coaching centers.
- Work hard to get success.
Once you clear the hurdles of CS exam, you are ensured to get a dynamic career in Company Secretaryship as Chairman, Managing Director and Board Of Directors of a Company, etc.